Famine in the Horn of Africa:
As you may have heard, more than 11 million people in Somalia and parts of Kenya and Ethiopia require assistance. Due to the drought, they have walked miles to relocate to refugee camps that no longer have shelter. Nearly half of the Somali population, 3.7 million people, are now in crisis. In the past 90 days, 29,000 children under the age of 5 have died.
How to help
- SPREAD the news via FaceBook, text, email & Twitter
- DONATE: A list of trustworthy charitable organizations fighting famine and drought in the Horn of Africa:
- UNICEF just $10 can feed a child for 10 days," said To help UNICEF's efforts, text "FOOD" to 864233 to donate $10 from theUnited States or visit the website.
- INTERNATIONAL MEDICAL CORP text "AFRICA" to 80888 to donate $10 to the group's drought relief response from the United States. It will show up on your next mobile phone bill.
- The United Nations World Food Programe via text. To donate $10 from the United States, text "AID" to 27722; to donate $5 from Canada, text "RELIEF" to 45678; to donate £3 from the United Kingdom text "AID" to 70303.
- World Vision visit thee, call 1-888-56-CHILD or text "4AFRICA" to 20222 to donate $10
- ShelterBox, which provides tents and essential supplies to people who have been displaced text "SHELTER" to 20222 from the U.S. for a one-time $10 donation
- Save the Children text "SURVIVE" to 20222 to donate $10
- AmeriCares call 1-800-486-HELP from the United States