AIU General Information
Science has yet to discover the precise mechanism by which the individual learns. However, it is known that the act of learning is endogenous (from within), rather than exogenous. This fact is the reason that serves as the basis for “distance learning” in general, and for all degree programs offered by the University.
The AIU Difference
Atlantic International University exists as an experiential learning institution and non-traditional distance education. There are no classrooms and attendance is not required. What makes us unique is the combination of a student “self-instruction” approach (with guidance), the collaborative development of a curriculum that is unique to each student, and the flexibility of time and place of study. This provides what we consider to be the ideal learning environment. It is created with the purpose of satisfying individual needs and fostering the personal development of each student.
The AIU Service
At Atlantic International University our main goal is to provide the foundation for adult learners to meet their individual needs. For this reason, our degree programs are flexible and designed to be completed quickly. Our programs challenge students to demonstrate their ability through independent learning, reading, and research in their field of study. AIU offers adults from around the world educational opportunities in the United States so that they themselves can use their own potential to direct their global cultural development. This is updated through the evaluation of your credentials towards a bachelor’s, master’s and/or doctoral degree, and this also implies a capacity for sustained performance-based results. The fundamental axis of such a philosophy depends on information and self-updating knowledge, which does not give rise to the obsolete, and which is embedded in a distance learning system based on ANDRAGOGY and OMNIOLOGY. The ultimate goal of this paradigm is to empower students and help them take advantage of the enormous wealth of resources in the world environment, in order to eliminate the current continuum of poverty and limitations. Upon completion, and depending on the circumstances, students will be able to transform their past into a growing module, self-propelled, constantly in motion, far from traditional systems that encourage limitations and expiration.
This will become a harsh reality, with respect to and for the practice of human and community rights, through experiences, investigations, field work and/or exams, according to the individual idiosyncrasies of an independent student at AIU. All this takes place within a framework that encourages diversity with more than 10 million complete texts and nearly 47 million bibliographical references, in more than 400 languages; in addition to an extensive network throughout the world of colleagues and associations in different academic areas, so that students can together achieve the satisfaction and progress of humanity in peace and harmony.
The purposes of Atlantic International University are:
- to encourage freedom of inquiry and a free exchange of ideas among learners, faculty, administrators and staff
- to combine theory and practice in an effort to prepare professionals for leadership responsibilities
- to provide the support necessary for learners to successfully complete their chosen program of study and to overcome any completion deficiencies
- to maintain our excellent academic reputation
- to adhere to the basic rights of education; as outlined in the Declaration of Human Rights, by providing an affordable alternative to achieving educational goals for a broad spectrum of people from different societal and economic backgrounds
- to instill in our students a sense of confidence and self-reliance in their ability to access the vast opportunities available through information channels; the world wide web, private, public, nonprofit, and nongovernmental organizations, in an ever expanding global community
- to empower learners and help them take advantage of the enormous array of resources from the world’s environment, in order to eliminate the continuum of poverty and limitations
- to intensify the use of Information Technology to stay at the cutting edge of distance learning universities